Possible Reasons for E-5
E- 5 errors read as "Err5" on controls manufactured before 2006
- Loading may be uneven- try putting two elements between the bottom two shelves and add more mass to the upper areas in the kiln
- Loading may be too close to the thermocouples.
- Element(s) out- broken inside the kiln, look for damage or perform a paper test .
- Element(s) out- a wire bringing power is burned off.
- Element(s) out- the center relay is out. The kiln section's temp may noticeably lag behind at med/ high temperatures. Top or bottom relay failure usually gives an E- d
- Thermocouples reading unevenly (from age or loading unevenly or too close to thermocouple).
- Different style thermocouples used in same kiln.
- Possibly there is an issue with thermocouple readings- like a thermocouple may be about to fail or have a poor connection somewhere (typically temp will jump all over the place with a poor connection/ nearly failed thermocouple).
- Lid/ Hinge out of adjustment- lid opens a bit in the front when hot.
- Press 1,2,3 while firing and see if you see temperature readings jumping around.
- Do a paper test to see if all the elements can come on (tiny piece of paper on each element and watch them while you run a Fast Glaze for a few minutes)