L&L's policy for helping with voltage mistakes
- If you ordered a 240-volt kiln and you have 208 volts, you will get about 25% less power out of the kiln. If you can live with this, then you may not have to do anything. If you need the full power, you will need to change all the elements to 208-volt elements.
- If you ordered a 208-volt kiln and have 240 volts, you must change the elements because the kiln will draw too much power and burn out the electricals inside the control box, to say nothing of what you could do to your own power lines.
Easy-Fire and eQuad-Pro kilns
What has to happen?
- If just the voltage is wrong (and not the phase), then the only thing that needs to get changed is the elements. Because of our ceramic element holders and industrial-grade terminal blocks, changing elements is very easy, and most customers can do this quickly. Visual instructions are included in the instruction manual that goes with the kiln.
- If you ordered single phase instead of three phase, you will have to change the terminal block inside the control panel, and you will have to change a few wires around at the terminal block (see the single phase and three phase wiring diagrams to see how). On some models, you may have to change elements.
- If you ordered three phase instead of single phase you can use the same terminal block and change the wires around at the terminal block.
- You must swap power cords if you ordered the wrong phase and there is a power cord (as on the Easy-Fire kilns).
- This is the same as the Easy-Fire kilns except that for multi-voltage models. On those models (SM23T-3-A-1Ph and SM23T-3-A-3Ph), you only need to change the phase if it is wrong. See this for a link to a kit for that purpose.
Jupiter, DaVinci, eFL Series, Easy-Load, Doll, JH Kilns
What Has to happen?
- If just the voltage is wrong (and not the phase), then the only thing that needs to get changed is the elements.
- If you ordered single phase instead of three phase, you will have to change the terminal block inside the control panel, and you will have to change a few wires around at the terminal block. If you ordered three phase instead of single phase, you can use the same terminal block and change thrre wires around at the terminal block.
- If there is a power cord, you will need to swap power cords.
- Elements are the same for single-phase and three-phase Jupiter, Davinci, Easy-Load, JH Series kilns, and most eFL Series kilns (of the same voltage), so you probably won’t have to change elements if the voltage doesn't change.
480 Volt kilns
- Please contact us with specific questions.
What will it cost to do this?
- If your kiln is brand new (See the serial number) L&L will help with a discount on the needed parts.
- We may ask for the old unused elements back.
- You pay for shipping both ways.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your serial number and what you are trying to do.