strict warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in /home/hotkilns/public_html/sites/all/modules/captcha/captcha.inc on line 61.
- Use A Qualified Electrician
- Clearances and Flammable Surfaces
- Check Temperatures Around Kiln
- Leveling the Kiln
- Adjusting the Hinge Properly
- Use the Supplied Kiln Stand
- Don't Use an Extension Cord
- Power Cord Must Be Properly Rated
- Use Copper Wire for Hook Up
- Protect Power Cord From Kiln Case
- Keep Kiln Dry & In Protected Space
- Keep A Fire Extinguisher Near Kiln
- Sprinkler Cautions
GENERAL ENVIRONMENT CAUTIONS
LOADING & UNLOADING CAUTIONS
- Turn Off Power While Loading
- Keep Lid Closed When Kiln Is Not In Use
- Do Not Store Anything On Lid
- Do Not Open The Door Above 250°F
- Do Not Unload Kiln While Hot
- Be Careful of Sharp Objects
- Secure Lid While Loading or Unloading If You Have A Spring-Loaded Easy-Lift Hinge
- If You Have a DaVinci Counterbalanced Lid
- If You Have A Basic Hinge With Chain Supports
- Viewing Into The Kiln
- Attend The Firing
- Make Sure Your Kiln Sitter Is Adjusted
- Use Kiln Wash On The Cone Supports
- Understand Your Control
- Program Review on Automatic Kilns with DynaTrol Controls
- Do Not Confuse Cone Numbers
- Use The Proper Thermocouple
- Check Thermocouple Calibration
- Shut Off Kiln At Disconnect or Circuit Breaker
- Do Not Fire Kiln Above 2350°F (1290°C, Cone 10)
POST FIRING CAUTIONS
GENERAL MAINTENANCE CAUTIONS
- If you have a sprinkler system be careful to check the temperature rating and location of the heads so that you do not inadvertently cause them to actuate under normal firing conditions.
- Be sure to monitor this while the kiln is at its highest firing temperature and conditions are at their worse (for instance when the door to the kiln room is closed or the ventilation fan is turned off). Serious damage to the kiln and your premises can take place if the sprinkler system goes off when the kiln is at high temperature - especially if no one is in building when it happens.
- Put the highest temperature rated sprinkler head in the room or else make sure it is not right above the kiln.
- Don't locate a sprinkler head directly over a kiln. You could get localized heating just above the kiln when the door is opened or if say the kiln lid was slightly opened.
- You may want to look into an alarm that would alert the appropriate personnel if the room temperature got above say 125°F. The sprinkler may keep the building from burning down but the damage from the sprinkler itself can be catastrophic.