Brick & Insulation Energy Savings
- Top-loading kilns typically come with either 2-1/2" or 3" thick insulation.
- You will save energy with 3" brick (and have a stronger kiln).
- 3" brick will also slow the cooling of the kiln (which is often desirable for pottery).
- However, total energy saved is minimal in low-fire applications. This is because 3" brick takes more energy to heat itself up.
- We definitely recommend 3" brick for high fire applications (over cone 1 - 2000F).
- See brickstudy.pdf for details.
Front-Loading Kilns have thicker insulation
- All L&L Easy-Load and Hercules kilns have 3" of firebrick backed up with 2" of mineral wool.
- We use 4-1/2" K25 firebrick on the arches of the Easy-Load kilns because of the extra strength.
- We use K25 firebrick for our JH series kilns.
- This brick will not shrink as much at extended soaks at high temperature.
- The K25 brick is denser which actually aides int he cooling of the JH kilns which give those kilns more controlability.
- K25 brick is stronger.